Want to upgrade your health in under 60 seconds? Lasting health changes can be daunting and intimidating. But NOT this one! Here is the fastest upgrade you can make starting tomorrow morning! Wake up. Brush teeth. Drink water. Water. That's it. Start your day with a full glass of cool filtered water, first thing in the morning. Make it the VERY first thing you do. Even if you drink a lot of water during the day, this morning practice is an awesome habit to get into! Why?
- Helps counteract the dehydration that occurs overnight
- Flushes out toxins and by-products your body has been working through as it repairs and rejuvenates overnight (it has been doing some heavy lifting while you were sleeping to repair!!)
- Introduces something cleansing into the GI tract before you break your fast (breakfast!) and prepares you to eat your morning meal
- The cool glass of H20 wakes you gently
- Stimulates your metabolism
- Helps fend off any weird cravings you might have when you wake up
I am an avid water drinker but since I have been practicing this 'health upgrade' I have felt more energized in the mornings, have had decreased feelings of morning 'fogginess' that I tend to get after shift work, and it also decreases my desire for coffee and a sweet breakfast. I have been trying to cut down on my coffee intake and I went 2 weeks without an am cup o' joe after I started my morning water habit, simply because I did not feel like I wanted it. For the next few weeks after starting this, I only had coffee after I really just wanted some and it was always later in the morning.
I started this morning water routine in earnest after listened to a podcast by Katie Dalebout of The Wellness Wonderland where she interviewed Health Coach Extraordinaire Robyn Youkilis of Your Healthiest You. Robyn said this is something she practices regularly and it starts her day off on a great foot, so I thought it was certainly worth a try. No wonder this lady is taking over the health coaching world...she has some darn good advice! (Seriously listen to the whole podcast here....there's a ton of great info there, folks!) Especially as we enter colder months with lots of germs and viruses floating around, staying hydrated is a HUGE factor in keeping your immune system in tip-top shape! Downing a quick glass of water as soon as you wake up can really make a difference!
There it is: your easiest health upgrade in under 60 seconds!! I want to hear if you try this little tip, so let me know below!